Weaving Paper Hearts

I wanted to give these a try, though I confess I didn't really have anything in mind to do with them when I was finished.

I just knew I would like the finished texture, and I do!

The weaving is very simple. I just cut a bunch of narrow strips of mixed colors of paper, about 1/8" wide, then began weaving them together.

I interspersed the colors randomly to give it a mixed tone. As I added strips of paper, I used a fingernail to tighten the weave. When I reached my desired size, I secured the back with some clear tape to keep the outer strips from loosening as I continued to work it.

Next, I turned the weave over and traced a heart shape onto the back.

I carefully cut the heart from the weave. Having the back taped really helps keep the weave tight.

And there you have your finished heart!

I did another one that was similar, except that I made a smaller weave, and cut the heart at an angle, leaving the edges of the heart loose and rough.

So, now what to do with them?

They would work wonderfully as-is on a lovely Valentine's day card, or glued onto a toothpick as a cupcake pick. And I have something in mind for a necklace pendant, but you'll have to check back for that.

I'd love to know what you do with yours!




And be sure to check out the endless list of inspirational ideas at my home page childmade.com.



I'll be linking to some of the fabulous link parties listed on the right sidebar ... but really, that's a LOT of parties! I probably won't get to them all, but you should stop in and visit a few yourself. While you're at it, stop by my home page and add a few links of your own!
Childmade